Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Proe that you are you, mister

One of the weirdest Pi I have had. I thought C was unfair on me. I had a bad GD and I have a low CAT score, but am I not eligible for a fightback in PI? I guess C decided that I am not. I lost the battle before it actually began.OK, I should give you some background information. I was filling up the CAT application form, and I found that I had this photograph with me, all two copies of it. I pasted one on the form and sent it across to IIMK, and peacefully forgot about the other copy. A roommate of mine picked it up and placed it alongside the photographs of gods that we had at our home and said that he was placing me along with the gods. Needless to say, I got the same treatment as the gods did. When I took out my application form for IIMC, I found out that they have specifically asked for the same copy of the photograph as I had pasted on the CAT application form, and this was repeated at 2-3 places, which made me believe that C is very particular of this thing. I went to the Gods and saw my photo lying there, all in dust and dirt. A good friend of mine took pains to clean it up as nicely as he could and gave it to me in some presentable form. I thought, OK...let me go ahead and paste this one. But the problem was that it was taken an year ago and I was sporting a nice trim moustache on it. Now I have a clean-shaven appearance. Also, during this period, I gained around 5 kilograms of weight and lost another 10 later on. In totum, I looked a bit different on the photograph.Now to the Interview Hall (M23 at IIMB again, for the fourth time in my life).I (Me in the transcript below) went in and saw 4 panelists sitting there, one towards the extreme left (P1) had asked me to come in. The other three (P2, P3 and P4) were engaged in some serious discussions as to what the problems in Indian IT industry were.P1 offered me a seat and I thanked him and wished him a good afternoon. The other three now stopped discussion, and I promptly wished them too.
P4: Tell us something about yourself.P1 handed over my application form to P3 and he looked at me, and he looked amazed.
P3: You look totally different!
Me: I had sported a moustache earlier on, sir. This photo was taken at that time.
P4: Is this the one you have pasted on your CAT admit card?
Me: Yes sir. And that is why I have pasted this photograph here. It is specifically mentioned that I should use the same copy.
P3: But how can we believe that it is you? There is no similarity at all.He placed his hand over his nose and looked at me from different angles.
P3: You look like xxxxx now (I did not hear the name he said, I would have loved to hear whom I look like, but thought it would be silly to ask him to repeat it. So I just smiled).
P4: Ok, you were about to tell us about yourself...go on.Me: Sir, my name is Anu P. Thomas. I belong..
P4 (interrupting me): You are from?
Me: Kerala.
P3: Which part of Kerala?
Me: I am from the south Kerala, sir. Not extreme south, but some where towards the South.
P2: Which is the place?
Me: Tiruvalla, sir.
P4 (pointing to P2 and P1): Tell your name to them, they might not have heard.
I mistook it for the place name and duly informed P1 and P2 that the name of the place is Tiruvalla.
P4: I meant your name.
Me: OK, sir my name is Anu P. Thomas.
P2: Where are you from?
Me: I am from Tiruvalla in Kerala, sir.
P2: Where is it?Me: Sir, Tiruvalla is in Pathanamthitta district, some thirty kilometers south of Kottayam and about a 110 kilometers south of Eranakulam.
P4: OK, continue with your description of yourself.
Me: Sir I am graduate in Mechanical Engineering, and I am now working as a...
P4: Where did you graduate from?
Me: Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Kottayam, sir.
P3 (Looking suspicious) Are you sure?I was taken aback. What is he talking about? Am I not sure where I graduated from?
Me: Yes sir.P3(handing over my application form to me): Then what have you written here?
Me: M. G. University.
P3: What have you told just now?
Me: Sir, what I have written here is the name of the University that grants the degree, but what I told is the name of the college I studied in. It is affiliated to M. G. University
P3 and P4 do not look convinced. They looked as if they have just spotted an imposter who neither looked like his photo nor knew where he studied.There was some silence looming around. I decided to continue with the description of myself. I said I am working for so and so.
P1: How long?
Me: I am with xxx for the past 34 months, sir.
P1 (Looking at all the salary slips I had put in): What are all these certificates? We have clearly mentioned what all we need.
Me: Sir, for the first 4 months, I was in training, and I was earning a stipend during that time. Once the training was over, I was inducted as an employee. My designation was so and so during the training period, then it changed to so and so. Also, I was in the US during January, so I got two salary slips for January, the Indian and US. I have put all of them in.
P2: So you were in US?
Me: I was in US during December and January, sir.
P2: Where in US?
Me: In the state of Maine. The place name was Portland.
Again a dull silence. I decided not to go back to the 'describe yourself' thing.
P1: So, tell us about the politics in Kerala and the role Mr. Karunakaran is playing.
I talked about the seesaw politics in Kerala and the way the two major alliances almost alternately come to power and how LDF is almost all set to return to the power. I also talked about Mr. Karunakaran and his son Mr. Muralidharan and their efforts to gain control over the state unit of congress not being fruitful and they forming a new party.P1 now asked me what the role of Karunakaran's daughter is to which I replied that there was a time when Muralidharan, despite being an MP since 1989 had a period of low popularity and Karunakaran tried to address the situation by bringing in his daughter.
P1: What is her name?
Me: Miss Padmaja. Rather Mrs. Padmaja Venugopal.
P4 now asks me how many siblings I have. I said I have two elder sisters and a younger brother. P4 asked me what they were doing and P3 asked me if they are married. I replied that both my sisters are married. Now P3 asked me then how come my family size is 6. I said I had thought about it for a while, and I couldn't consider my sisters out of my family. Then he said if my family income is to go up by 85%, what could that mean to these numbers. Some discussion about it followed.
P1: What is the problem with Kasargod?
Me: (Problem?? It is such a nice calm place) Sir, there is no problems with Kasargod. Sometime back, there were some talks about Kasargod wanting to merge with Karnataka, but I don't think it is much of an agitation now.
P3: So, what is the biggest agitation in Kerala now?
I gave him the smart city deal having caused the most widespread agitation in recent times.
P1: Tell me what is Kerala famous for? Any special sweets from Kerala?
Me: Kozhikkode's Halwa is very famous sir.
P3: What is it made of?Me: I am not sure sir.
P3: Is it sweet?
Me: It is very sweet.
P3: so sugar must be there. Hahahaha.
Me: Of course, sir. Sugar is an ingredient and also oil. But they do not form the major ingredient.
P1: OK, what else is there?
Me: (Thinking)
P1: Banana?
Me: Oh, yes sir, banana chips are very famous.
P1: So, what is that special type of banana?
Me: Sir, we call it Ethappazham, but I don’t know the English term.
P1: Nentra?
Me: Yes, sir. We also call it Nentra, but I am not sure what the English term is.
P1: There is no English term. It is called Nentra only. We get it even in Calcutta.
Me: (Smiles) Oh...Okaye...
P4: OK, Mr. Thomas. That is it. But we warn you that there is a problem with your identity. Also the problem he (pointing to P3) pointed out. We don't think it is good to penalize you now, but you will have to prove your identity if you are given a call.
P1: Do you have your xxx identity card?
Me: I have it at my room at BTM, sir. I also have my passport there. But I haven't brought them along.
P1: You should have brought it. That would have solved the problem straight away.
Me: A proof of identity wasn't mentioned as one of the documents that I should bring sir. So, I thought no need to bring it.
P4: OK...there is a 95% chance that you are the right person. But should we give you a final call, you should prove your identity. I mean you should be prepared for that.
Me: (Come on, you still think there is only 95% chance of my not being an imposter?) I will be able to do that, sir.
P4: OK, we will keep a note of it here.
Me: All right sir.
P4: OK, thank you.I stood up, and collected my files, and P1 informed me that he had kept back my salary slips. I asked him if he didn't need the academic certificates. He said no.
P4: OK, Mr. Thomas, now don't ask the next candidate to come in. I will ask her to come in.
Me: OK, sir.
I thanked them all, and walked out wondering how on earth I could prove I am myself. It might not be required anyway, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home